‘Know thyself’- Temple of Apollo at Delphi
‘Find out who you are and do it on purpose’- Dolly Parton
It is often said in spiritual circles that it is important for one to know who they are and why they are here. I, for one, strongly agree.
We can get hints of who we are and why we are here by looking at our astrological birth charts, and looking at our numerology. And, I think, we can get hints on our life purpose by asking ourselves certain questions. Anthony Robbins states that successful people ask the right questions, and the most empowering questions.
The other night, I was talking to my husband Henry. ‘What is your big dream?’, I asked. He said, ‘To find and do my life purpose’. So, I then improvised the following questionnaire, with some questions derived from valuable self-help books I’ve come across through the years:
1. What makes you feel alive?
2. What would you do if you knew you would not fail?
3. What would you do even if you never got paid for it?
4. What places do you like to go to (i.e. bookstores, the beach..)?
5. What clothes do you like to wear?
6. What activities can you get so engrossed in, that you lose track of time?
7. Name 5 fun-sounding, fantasy occupations (i.e. monk, painter..)
8. What would you do if you would never be judged for it?
9. What would you do if you were immortal?
10. What would you do if the world were ending and you had one more day to live?
11. What was a favorite childhood game of yours (i.e hide and seek, or tag)?
12. What is something you want to do before you die?
With Henry, we saw a recurring theme. He likes wearing fancy suits, and is interested in the external; in world affairs. He’s also interested in strategizing, and thinking about and applying ideas. His fave childhood game was tag and duck duck goose, so we also see a theme here of pursuit. The tips that came up went on and on.
For me, it is clear that I am more internal, and artistic. I could lose myself in hours of listening to music, and I have a theme of being seen, which is apparent in my fave childhood game- hide and seek.
These questions helped Henry a lot. Try it out and see what comes up for you!